Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

12.11.2008

It's all about me!

BigCat and I use the title phrase often - it's the joke about who it's really all about in our household at a given time... him or me. Ha! I think we all know it's really all about the Bird. However, this time, this post, is going to be all about me - a benefit of hosting your own blog.

Yesterday, I visited the specialist again to discuss the next steps in determining the cause of my daily abdominal pain. It is believed that I suffer from Pancreas Divisum. For an information overflow on the subject, you may click here, but I will describe in short.

Normally, before birth, the two ducts of the pancreas fuse to create one. Pancreas Divisum is an anomaly in which the ducts do not fuse together, so the fluid drains from two separate ducts. Because of this, the larger one is left with more to drain and not a large enough opening to do so, creating a fluid back-up in the pancreas and causing pain.

On January 7th, I am having an Endoscopic Ultrasound done. This should verify that we're dealing with PD. If so, I have a procedure scheduled for January 15th, an ERCP with a sphincterotomy. The procedure is scrutinized by some, but I am in the hands of an excellent doctor and this is his thing. The biggest downfall... there's only a 50% success rate. However, even with that and other risks, the possible benefits outweigh everything.

7 comments:

Courtney Smith said...

Sarah, I'm so glad they may have an answer for you. I bet it's a little bit of relief at least knowing what it could be. Stay strong!

angie said...

my goodness, i've never heard of that before! no wonder it's taken so long to discover what the problem is--it seems like you have an unlikely ailment. UGH. i'm so glad, though, that they may have nailed it down. keep on keepin' on!

Jolene said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so excited for you! A possible resolution in sight and even moreso, a name and reason for what's going on! I have to believe there's a lot of peace in knowing why you are hurting and not worrying and wondering that it's something even scarier than it is. Thank God for doctors who are so amazing. Love you girl! Still praying for you...

Judy T said...

You have to go for it: 50/50 are pretty good odds in my book. Best of luck!! Judy

Anonymous said...

I too am glad to hear that they have finally come up with the possible "culprit". Let's hope that is what it is AND you're on the 50% side of a success story!! Love you godchild. Mary

Melissa said...

Thinking of you, Swan! Glad you are making progress with finding out what the culprit is!I will be sending extra positive thoughts your way :)

Anonymous said...

after the procedure you'll be like Mary Poppins "nearly perfect"

my best to you!