Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

8.21.2008

Dear Grandma,

I can't believe it's been 12 years today. In a sense it feels much longer than that since I've seen you, and yet I have so many clear memories that make it seem a shorter time.

One of my most vivid remembrances was the last time I stayed with you before you moved on. We had gotten you to bed and eventually turned in ourselves. As I laid in the living room, I stared at the ceiling and starting bawling. My mom and I talked and happened upon the picture you cross stitched that hung above your kitchen table. I always admired the art and what it stood for, and made sure you knew it.



My mom suggested I look at the back, and sure enough, there it was:



I couldn't believe it. I cried that much harder.

As I cried, my throat tightened up, a burning sensation welling in the back of it. I learned the next day that the awful feeling wasn't at all from the crying; it was tonsillitis. I don't think I have had a sore throat that bad again... until today. Is this you talking to me? Letting me know you're here? Because I could think of way better fashions for you to do it. However, this is one that would not be missed.

You are loved and missed, always.

3 comments:

angie said...

aside from the awful sore throat, what a wonderful story, sarah! grandma loved you so much. :) and what a neat reminder you have of her in your own home now.

Anonymous said...

Hey Sarah, I was with you when you saw that grandma wrote your name on the back. It was very memorable.

Hope you are feeling better very SOON!

amanda t said...

I cannot believe that it has been 12 years. . . My supervisor's grandma just passed away, and this past weekend they were cleaning out her house. She was telling me about the "keepsakes" that she wanted but did not take because she thought they would just make her sad. I cannot help but think the opposite about this piece of work that you have. . . however I do agree that there are better ways to let you know that grandma is with you. . . hope you are feeling better!