Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

1.11.2009

Super Slow Sarah

Over the weekend I discovered that a video game, Super Mario Brothers 3, can be easily related to life. As you start out - worlds one and two - it doesn't take long to scurry through, missing the turtles and canon balls. Pretty simple, effortless advances. As you move forward, the levels become a bit more challenging, but mostly with exciting twists. Apprehension is at a minimum. It is in these stages that Mario is given the opportunity to try out limited edition characters, experience the different attributes, learn what works best and when. Hmmm... sounds a bit like the pre-teen to college ages, for some. Continuing on, everything gets a bit more complicated. It isn't so easy to cruise on through and escape all of the flames, pitfalls and dragons without some trepidation.

My frustration grew when I attempted to barge my way through - as I so easily had in earlier worlds. It quickly became time to slow things down a bit; consider everything transpiring and figure out the best way through the trials and obstacles. And that's the thing, there is absolutely a way through. The game is beatable. You just need to take it all step by step, trying to contain the anticipation, anxiety and excitement involved.

My weekend gave me that time (and time to play an ancient video game). The time to slow things down a bit, relax, take a look at the bigger picture and really see what's going on. It was quite refreshing. And all of the cool, crisp, fresh air out on the lake didn't hurt either.





Well, for the most part I actually felt little cold air and was happily cozied up in this ice shanty of FIL's. Although we didn't catch our limit of fish (or any) we did get at least one other mission accomplished: renewal.

4 comments:

Adrianna Charboneau said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Adrianna Charboneau said...

You two are cute. :-) (is that a bottle of CM that I see on the left in the pic of Mike? Or am I just imaging b/c I could really use some!) I like your words...as always. I love you! ;-)

Adrianna Charboneau said...

Oh, it's in your pic too! I was too focused on your cute hat and scarf! You would look that cute on an ice fishing trip! ;-)

angie said...

girl, you ice fish in style! i love it. and i love the mario bros. analogy. thanks. :)