Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

12.19.2008

Trailing Tantrums

It wasn't long ago that I would look at the mom's in stores, restaurants, anywhere in public who had the temper tantrum trailing along and think 'why even bring them out', right? Obviously it's probably the parenting that did, or didn't, happen that's making this child act up in this way... duh.

I had my first tantrum fun earlier this week. BigCat ran in to get a hair cut and the Bird and I were waiting in the car (keeping him out of trouble in a salon would be impossible). Since the Bird was growing restless, I decided to take him into Panera to grab some lunch. So many comments about how cute and well-behaved he is. Awww, thanks. But, then it happened. As I was trying to bundle him up for the great outdoors, he starts falling all over the place, crying, running, throwing his sippy cup, etc. Ahhhh!!! I finally gather him only to realize that my childhood next door neighbor (she was older than me, quite intimidating, needless to say we were no where near friendship) was watching the whole debacle as her daughter sat well-behaved.

Apparently, this is something that just happens. I'm hoping it's something that is just grown out of as well. I will have only sympathy for those poor mom's from here on out, because sometimes the tantrums just have to tag along.

4 comments:

angie said...

oh gaul, i imagine this is one of those fun lessons that you can only fully learn once you're a parent. but what can you do, right? at least the bird is adorable beyond words. that really helps. and you know what? even that mean neighbor girl probably knew exactly what you were going through. her daughter probably threw a tantrum 15 minutes before. :)

Courtney Smith said...

I can't tell you how many times I was judgemental of other moms, that is, until I became a mom! All of our kids do it and we just have to pretend we're not embarrassed! It really does help that he's so cute!

Adrianna Charboneau said...

Firstly, this is not funny when it happens but I have to apologize 'cause I did laugh a little..only because I totally can not see him doing this...at all! Dr. Jack?!?!I agree with what both Angie and Court said. :-) Love ya!

Jolene said...

only a parent could really understand. and really only a parent who has recently been there. it seems that the older ones forget and idealize their little children. ((sigh)) i hope i never forget and try to give hopeful smiles the next time i see a mama struggling.