The other night, some of us were discussing primary numbers in preparation for GMAT's (unfortunately, not my own), but tonight I'm talking Primary Election. This is an odd topic for me especially since I don't consider myself to be especially political. I do, however, find it interesting. As I told the Bird's daycare lady today, I was serving as an election judge, but not exactly sure why. I mean, I knew how I ended up here; because the township letter stated they were in need of judges. I thought it would be interesting, I'd meet the people of the town, and bonus... I'd learn something! However, as my judging time neared, I grew anxious and wondered what I got myself into.
It proved to be all I could have hoped for in a judging experience. It was a slow day, as I hear they usually are, which proved to be perfect. The Precinct 2 group turned out to be fairly fun people. Throughout the day I learned there was a wealth of town knowledge in that hall. I met one prominent person in town, Roger, who happens to be the sheep farmer behind us, my new wanna-have Grandpa. I silently wondered to myself if he'd let me adopt him. If you know me at all, you know how much I love those cute, old, wise, wrinkled men, even some ornery ones. Grandpa's are hard for me to come by. I've lost all of mine too early, two of my own and one adopted.
Thinking back, I completely remember Rog from when I voted a couple of years ago. I had a soft spot for him then (mooshy really, not just soft), and that was within just the couple minutes I stood by him waiting to vote. This whole time he's lived right in my backyard and I never knew it.
My "aha" moment was Roger, that's really why I was there. I made him very aware of the fact that I'd be around, probably bopping by with the Bird to look at the cute lil' lambs. He seemed quite alright with that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
It is fun to learn how things in the confusing political world are done. I went to my first caucus this year and it was really interesting. This election is so important for young families like ourselves, I hope everyone takes advantage of having the right to vote!
look at you and your civil dutifulness!! i'm proud of you, sarah, and you've inspired me to be on the lookout for some of these similar opportunities in my own city.
plus, grandpas really are adorable. :)
Oh Sarah - how wonderful. Got to love it when you make those kinds of connections with people. So inspiring :)
Post a Comment