Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

4.18.2008

Crabbit

That's what I am today. Not for the greatest of reasons. Partly because I was up too late in order to LOSE all 3 of our games. The other reason are small ones that are just piling up into a little mound.

I pose a question for the parental units out there... how do you feel about baby swimming classes? I was planning to sign Peanut and myself up for the 'Minnows' class in June, with a good friend and her babe that's the same age. I told BigCat about it yesterday and it proceeded into a disagreement on our way to FIL and MIL's. The class is for little ones 6-18 months, Peanut would be about 10. Obviously he may not actually learn to swim, but I thought it would be fun for the two of us and that he'd get acclimated to the water before the almighty Lake E vacay. I was so excited and then quickly disappointed when I learned that the hubby doesn't think it's a good idea whatsoever. Just to verify, he thinks lessons would be good someday but just not this early. I see his point but I still think it would be a good idea and good fun for Peanut and me! As of right now, I said 'fine, I won't do it' but now I'm leaning towards doing it.

5 comments:

Jolene said...

Ugh. Sorry Sarah!
I've never tried swim stuff with the kids that little but I had tried taking both Ty and Anna into a pool with me when they were little babies. They hated it. And I was so disappointed cause I just wanted them to have so much fun splashing. (Plus babies are super-cool-light in the water and you can carry them forever!) I think the nice thing about the lake is that they can start of shallow, sit and play, etc.

I guess my "advice" is that if you end up trying it, don't be too disappointed if it's not everything you hoped it would be. If you have a community pool around you with open swim, try that one night before commiting to a six-week series. Just a thought.

Hope this helps!

Anonymous said...

Hey Sarah, I'll pass on the advice a good friend of mine gave me - she raised 7 kids and was a pediatrician. Her theory was that until a child can understand the dangers of water that they not have swimming lessons. Otherwise they have too much confidence and not enough skill. The parent also fails in having too much confidence in their child because of swimming lessons. I had Karl signed-up and paid for when she told me that - he was probably about 18mths. I never took him.

Just an opinion, I'm sure others would disagree. So do what fits your family.

Courtney Smith said...

Hey Sarah, Ryleigh is in swimming lessons now and there is a baby class at the same time and some of the babies don't like it and the parents don't bring them back and some babies stay under water for an amazing amount of time and love it. Ryleigh has greatly benefited from lessons (we have a pool) and my feelings are that swimming lessons are the most practical of all of the "sports" kids get involved in. Everyone needs to know how to swim eventually. But....you have to do whatever is best for you and the fam.

Good luck with your decision!

Adrianna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Adrianna said...

I don't have any advice but did want to let you know that we have a community pool that you and Dr. Jack should come down and try (more than once) this summer with Alex and I. I'm sure we will spend lots of time there. ;-)

Good Luck with your decision. You always make and know the right one. Good to know from the people that did respond back with comments. :-)

Love you!
AD